Sunday, November 8, 2020

Ban on street caroling, videoke mulled

By Catherine S. Valente, TMT


THE government will study a proposal to ban street caroling during the Christmas season to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), a Palace official said.


Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said in a virtual press briefing aired on state-run PTV-4 on Saturday that the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) has yet to tackle the measure but assured the public that it would definitely be discussed in one of its future meetings.


The Department of Health (DoH), through Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire, also discouraged singing  in videoke bars because “like talking and breathing, singing can transmit aerosol droplets that carry the virus that causes Covid-19.”


Citing studies, Vergeire said during her weekly “Laging Handa Public Briefing” segment on Saturday, that singing “gives off the highest load of virus that you can transmit.”


She said the DoH might recommend a ban on public videokes but would allow those in private homes.


Mamba proposal


Roque’s statement was in response to a proposal by Cagayan Gov. Manuel Mamba.


Mamba said the local government could issue an ordinance, but it would be more effective if it would come from the IATF, the government’s policy-making body on Covid-19 response.


“At least they know that there is a medical and scientific basis in what we are trying to ask,” Mamba said.


‘Covid-free’ December


President Rodrigo Duterte said he hoped for a “Covid-free December” so that everyone could enjoy the Christmas season, citing the development of the Russian vaccine Sputnik-V.


The third phase of the clinical trials of Sputnik V by the Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology will be held simultaneously in the Philippines and Russia from October 2020 to March 2021 with tens of thousands of patients to be vaccinated for its safety and efficacy.


Malacañang is expecting Sputnik V to be registered with the local Food and Drug Administration by April 2021.


‘High-risk’ holiday activity


Singing, alongside dancing, is considered a high-risk holiday activity under DoH Circular 2020-0355 issued on October 26.


Other measures include limiting the number of people in family and social gatherings and holding them outdoors for better ventilation or holding virtual gatherings with family members and friends who are not living in the same household; shopping online instead of shopping in crowded malls, and bazaars; avoiding activities that require travel to areas with higher quarantine classifications; keeping activities as short as possible; limiting participation for those considered to be vulnerable; and observing minimum health standards such as face masks, hand washing or sanitizing, and physical distancing.


“Of course, we want to celebrate the holidays, but we have to learn how to celebrate it safely,” Rodley Carza of the DoH-Health Promotion Bureau said during an online forum on Thursday.


The Philippines has so far reported 391,809 Covid-19 cases, with 7,461 deaths and 394,974 recoveries. With reports from RED MENDOZA


https://www.manilatimes.net/2020/11/08/news/national/ban-on-street-caroling-videoke-mulled/792946/

Friday, November 6, 2020

Palace: IATF to discuss proposed ban on Christmas caroling

 By Argyll Cyrus Geducos


Malacañang said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) will soon discuss the proposal to prohibit Christmas street caroling to prevent the spread of COVID-19.


Presidential spokesman Harry Roque made the statement after Cagayan Governor Manuel Mamba suggested to ban street caroling this Christmas as a measure against the coronavirus.


In a virtual press briefing aired via state-run PTV-4, Roque said the Inter-agency Task Force (IATF) will definitely include the proposal in one of its future meetings.


“Hndi pa po ‘yan napagpulungan at napag-usapan sa IATF (We have not talked about that in the IATF yet),” he said on Thursday.


“I’m sure maa-agenda ‘yan sa mga susunod na meeting ng IATF (I’m sure it will be part of the agenda in our next IATF meeting),” he added.


Last month, the IATF eased the restrictions on religious gatherings, allowing churches to fill up to 30 percent of their seating capacity to accommodate those who want to attend the “Simbang Gabi” next month.


In one of his virtual press briefings, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said that the IATF has yet to discuss if there should be rules on how to celebrate Christmas amid the ongoing threat of the COVID-19 pandemic.


“Hindi pa po namin napaguusapan yun. Wala pa tayong rules na ginagawa sa IATF about that. So wala pa po (We haven’t talked about Christmas yet. The IATF does not have rules about that yet. So there’s none for now),” he said.


Nograles, however, suggested that families and friends should take advantage of the available technology to hold get-togethers instead of risking their health to meet one another during the holidays.


“Dapat alalahanin po natin na mayroon pa rin tayong (Remember that we have) health and safety protocols when it comes to mass gatherings no. ‘Di pwede basta-basta mag-mass gathering (We cannot just simply hold gatherings),” he said. 


“Pwede naman mag-Christmas party via online o Zoom or gagamitin natin yung technology o iba’t ibang online platforms para sa ating Christmas get-togethers (We can hold our Christmas parties virtually or use different technology platforms for our Christmas get-togethers),” he added.


The Palace official said that the government only wants the public to celebrate Christmas without anybody getting sick.


“Gusto natin maging masaya rin kahit papano yung Pasko kahit mayroon tayong kinakaharap na pandemya (We want to make Christmas as merry as possible even though we are facing a pandemic),” Nograles said.


“Pero siyempre, mas magiging masaya ang Pasko kung walang mahahawa ng COVID (But, of course, Christmas will be merrier if no one will catch COVID-19),” he added.

https://mb.com.ph/2020/11/06/palace-iatf-to-discuss-proposed-ban-on-christmas-caroling/

Coronavirus task force to tackle proposed ban on Christmas caroling

The inter-agency task force leading the country's pandemic response will discuss a proposal to ban the traditional Christmas caroling to contain the novel coronavirus, Malacañang said Friday. 


The IATF did not discuss the proposal when it met late Thursday, said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque. 


"Pero I am sure maaagenda 'yan sa mga susunod na meeting ng IATF," he said in a public briefing. 


(But I am sure that will be included in the agenda in next IATF meetings.)


Cagayan Governor Manuel Mamba earlier said he wanted the traditional house-to-house caroling banned because children who usually join the Christmas tradition are vulnerable to exposure to those infected with COVID-19. 


The Philippines has Southeast Asia's second highest number of COVID-19 cases and deaths after Indonesia. 


The health department on Thursday reported 1,594 novel coronavirus infections and 42 additional deaths. The agency said total confirmed cases increased to 389,725 while deaths reached 7,409. — With a report from Reuters 


https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/11/06/20/coronavirus-task-force-to-tackle-proposed-ban-on-christmas-caroling

Thursday, November 5, 2020

BT: Pangangaroling, ipinanukala sa IATF na ipagbawal ngayong may pandemya


Iminungkahi sa Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) na ipagbawal muna ang pangangaroling ngayong Pasko sa pangambang maaari itong magdulot ng pagkalat ng COVID-19.


Batay sa ulat ni Raffy Tima sa GMA News TV "Balitanghali" nitong Huwebes, si Cagayan Governor Manuel Mamba ang nagbigay ng panukala.


"Karamihan kasi ng carolers namin dito, they are not even from our place. 'Yung pagpupunta nila from one house to the other, natatakot kami doon because it might cause the upsurge of COVID cases," sabi ni Mamba.


Dagdag ng gobernador, kakaunti lamang ang COVID-19 cases sa kanilang lalawigan kumpara sa ibang lugar sa bansa, kaya gusto nila itong mapanatili.


Ayon pa kay Mamba, maaari namang magbigay ng kautusan ang mga LGU pero iba pa rin kung manggagaling mismo ang kautusan sa IATF.


"At least they know that there is a medical and scientific basis of what we are trying to ask dahil ang hirap nito eh, it's a... tradisyon ito eh na ginagawa every year," ani Mamba.


Suportado ni IATF chief implementer at vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez ang panukala ni Mamba.


Ayon kay Galvez, isasama niya ito sa mga pag-uusapan sa IATF. Gayunman, maaari nang mag-issue ng ganitong kautusan kung nanaisin ng gobernador na ipagbawal ang pangangaroling.


"It is the prerogative of the LGU because we have said, the Local Government Executives are the most knowledgeable people that can protect their constituents, what is best for them," sabi ni Galvez.


Nauna naman nang napagkasunduan ng Metro Manila mayors na ipagbawal ang mga Christmas Party ngayong taon dahil pa rin sa pandemya.—Jamil Santos/AOL, GMA News


https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/ulatfilipino/762898/pangangaroling-iminungkahing-ipagbawal-dahil-sa-covid-19-pandemic/story/

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

SMC clears Bulacan airport property of settlers

San Miguel Corporation (SMC) reported that it has completed the clearing of the future site of its P740 billion Manila International Airport in Bulacan in preparation for the start of construction activities.


In a statement, the firm said the last remaining residents of Barangay Taliptip in Bulakan, Bulacan have finally moved into their new, sturdier homes in a safer location over the weekend–just in time for the onslaught of super typhoon Rolly, which affected parts of Central Luzon, including Bulacan province.   


SMC helped the residents find the land and construction of the houses. The company had also helped to ensure they have water and electrical connection, among others.


While these former residents will continue to rely on fishing as a primary source of livelilhood, they will also enroll in courses offered by the Technical Education Skills and Development Authority (TESDA) in cooperation with SMC.


These TESDA courses are to prepare former Taliptip and Bulacan residents for employment and business opportunities in store during the construction and operational phases of the new Manila International Airport. 


In addition to the courses, all trainees will also be given seminars on Entrepreneurship, as well as tools to start them on their new trades. The first batch of TESDA students will graduate in November.


SMC President Ramon S. Ang earlier said that the courses will be opened to all Bulacan residents who are willing to learn and participate in the development of the airport project, seen to be a game-changer that will boost the country’s economy, which is still reeling from the Covid-19 pandemic.


“We are happy to provide better homes and opportunities to Bulacan residents, particularly residents of Barangay Taliptip.  They are now given the chance to rebuild their lives. You can’t help but feel sad when you see their previous homes but we admire them for their strength and resilience. This strengthens our commitment to help them and make sure they will really have a better future,” Ang said.  


A total of 277 owners of concrete and shanty houses in Barangay Taliptip qualified for financial assistance. SMC provided owners of non-concrete houses or shanties P250,000 each, while owners of concrete houses were given the appraised value of their homes, multiplied by two, plus P100,000. SMC also provided cash assistance to 87 others who were disqualified, for a total of 364 beneficiaries.


With the help of Malolos Bishop Dennis Villarojo, SMC also distributed the total appraised cash value of the abandoned chapels in Sitio Pariyahan, Sitio Dapdap, Sitio Bunutan, and Sitio Capol to the 242 residents of these sitios. 


SMC said that many former Taliptip residents have completed construction of their new houses and used part of the financial assistance to put up small businesses, or send their children to school.


https://mb.com.ph/2020/11/04/smc-clears-bulacan-airport-property-of-settlers/

To prevent COVID-19, Cagayan governor wants Christmas ‘karoling’ banned

By Raymund Catindig


TUGUEGARAO City, Cagayan — Gov. Manuel Mamba wants the traditional house-to-house karoling (caroling) during the Christmas season banned to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Cagayan.


The governor said children who are usually engaged in the age-old tradition are vulnerable to exposure from infected members of the community whom they will encounter.


Mamba cited the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) guideline of prohibiting children in the streets especially during curfew hours.


The governor also said that if adults would insist on going karoling, the regional IATF should come out with guidelines for the Christmas tradition at this early stage, in order to regulate the activity and deter the transmission of COVID-19.


The regional IATF is yet to bare its position.


Provincial health officer Dr. Carlos Cortina said there is higher possibility of local transmission through the said Christmas activity.


He said people who engage with carolers and sometimes the carolers themselves, are authorized persons outside residence (APORS).


Cortina said while authorities have been strict in monitoring people entering provincial borders, safeguards over APORs who are already inside Cagayan are mostly overlooked.


He cited the recent work-related COVID-19 transmission at the Cagayan Valley Medical Center and the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas where at least 25 APORs were tested for the virus last week.


https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/11/04/2054479/prevent-covid-19-cagayan-governor-wants-christmas-karoling-banned

Thursday, October 29, 2020

LRT 1 EXTENSION BACLARAN TO NIYOG BACOOR CONSTRUCTION UPDATE AS OF OCTOB...

Construction of 16-km section of Malolos-Clark Railway to start in Dec.

 A Korean construction company and its joint venture partner are set to start constructing its section of the Malolos-Clark Railway project in December, after bagging the P33.7-billion contract from the Duterte administration earlier this month.


Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd., one of the largest builders in South Korea, and Acciona Construction Philippines will construct a section of the railway, covering 16 kilometers in the towns of Minalin, Sto. Tomas and the City of San Fernando in Pampanga. Construction will take four years.


This marks the first infrastructure project that the Korean group won in a competitive bidding here in the Philippines, a top official of its local unit said, although the company had already done several energy projects since it first set shop in the country in 1995.


“Daelim is [a] well-known construction company in Korea,” said Sangsik Shim, general manager of Daelim Philippines Inc., in an e-mail to the Inquirer this week. “Unfortunately, we did not have more chances [other] than [in the] oil, gas and power plant sector.”


The contract was one of the three signed by the Department of Transportation (DOTr) under the same railway project last Oct. 8, as the Duterte administration continued to pursue its infrastructure ambitions despite the challenges brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic. All three contracts were worth P85 billion.


Their section forms a stretch of the Malolos-Clark Railway project, which in total covers 54 km and will feature a so-called airport express service since it will create a railway link between Metro Manila and Clark International Airport in Pampanga by 2025.


The DOTr has targeted to start partial operations of the project by 2023 and its completion in five years.


The Malolos-Clark Railway project is a key phase of the 148-km North-South Commuter Railway (NSCR) System in Luzon.


The NSCR, which is being financed with loans from the Asian Development Bank and the Japan International Cooperation Agency, will eventually have 37 stations cross 26 cities and municipalities in Luzon.


https://business.inquirer.net/310629/construction-of-16-km-section-of-malolos-clark-railway-to-start-in-dec